Before jumping into more travel adventures, I'll just give you a quick job update. Because traveling is such a passion of mine, I recently started thinking that I'd like to get into the travel/tourism industry. Amazingly enough, there were 3 different travel agencies hiring in Canberra, so I applied to all and ended up getting interviews with all of them! But the one that I really wanted snatched me up first! :) I am now the newest travel adviser for STA Travel here in Canberra! Basically, I get to talk to people about traveling and help them plan their trips! Their typical customers are students and young adults, but they cater to everyone! They also have locations on many major college campuses.
I really like the sound of this company...they believe that traveling is one of the best experiences a person can have, which I definitely agree with. In my opinion, traveling provides an education alongside adventure and gives invaluable insight into the world around us (you learn so much about people, nature, and culture...things that you wouldn't necessarily learn in a book).
So, with that said, I start my new position next Wednesday! I will have 3 days in the office and then I'm off to Sydney for 2 weeks of training (not bad, eh?)! There's a few people in Sydney I want to catch up with, so I'm excited about that too.
I really hope that I will like this position. I think it will certainly be my foot in the door into the travel industry. Ultimately, I'd like to become a study abroad coordinator at a university and encourage American students to travel (...I don't think enough of them do). That is my friend Mandy's dream and it has been for awhile, but I am stealing it (I have her blessing...thanks Mandypants)!!
Oh and the dress code is "smart casual"! Yep, I can wear jeans! :)
So that's the big news for now, folks. After 5 months of not working, it will definitely be hard to get back into the working routine! Hopefully it will be a smooth transition! ;)
To get an idea of what I'll be doing, click on this link: STA Travel Careers
Aussie Fact of the Day: STA Travel is the world's leader in student and youth travel, with a global network of over 400 branches worldwide.


So proud of you, Shan! And so happy we can pursue our now same passion together!
ReplyDeleteSeriously what a fun goal to work towards! I wish American jobs required (or at least were more supportive) of taking "holiday"...a good long chunk of time to travel!!
ReplyDeleteLOVE IT!
Did i tell you that I booked a starter-package with STA travel, before I came to australia?! :)
ReplyDeleteit was actually pretty good.
Good luck love!
Christin:)